27.12.14

Three Ingredient Homemade Laundry Detergent for Sensitive Skin and Thrifty Budgets

I've been testing out this non-toxic homemade laundry detergent recipe the past few weeks and I flippin love it so much. It's for sensitive skin (containing only three ingredients), cleans great and is thrifty-friendly. Costs about $2.76 a gallon to make! Here's the recipe...




Homemade Laundry Detergent:

- 1/4 cup washing soda
- 1/2 cup grated castile bar soap (I used my brothers unscented homemade bar soap. Dr. Bronner's, Kirk's, etc, will work fine too)
- 4 cups water
- 30 drops essential oil (fourth optional ingredient, I used lavender)

Directions:

In a saucepan, combine grated soap and washing soda. Cover with 4 cups water and simmer until mixture thickens...about ten minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and cool. I used a funnel to pour mixture into a clean gallon jug (an old vinegar jug). Add essential oil (if you'd like) and fill up the rest of the jug with water. Shake to combine thoroughly. Let sit 24 hours. This mixture does separate so just give it a few shakes when needed. I use 1/4-1/2 cup per load. Let me know if you try it!